Because sometimes PowerPoint just doesn't cut it
The challenges organizations face today requires collaboration and poor communication is often how collaborative efforts fail.
For example, group members may:
- engage in parallel or siloed conversations, never quite getting on the same page as an entire team
- refrain from sharing their experiences and creative contributions, adopting solutions that aren't well informed or that they aren't fully committed to
- become trapped in escalating cycles of conflict between individuals or factions
- become dissatisfied with meeting processes or results and disengage
We know visuals are the best communication tools, but we aren't accustomed to using them to support groups and their work.
Graphic facilitation/recording is real-time illustration that organizes information during conversation, enabling individuals to share, understand, and retain more information. In turn, groups become more cohesive, creative, productive, and able to achieve their shared goals.
As a graphic facilitator/recorder, I capture information as it's being shared and complement it with visuals on a large piece of paper (about four feet high and six to eight feet long) that everyone can see. These visuals not only clarify concepts but they also help individuals build more meaningful relationships with one another.
My process generally involves:
- consulting with co-facilitators about objectives, agenda, attendees, etc. to prepare for event(s)
- listening during event(s) and creating a large-scale visual that represents what's shared
- making additions to the visual after event(s) to augment clarity and aesthetic quality, if desired
- producing digital photo(s) and/or printed material(s) and hand delivering final original visual(s)
I know hand drawings hardly seem like they’d be the most cutting-edge solution, but the groups I have worked with have been transformed by them. Where they once felt uncertain, disorganized, or stalled, they now are able to use everyone's strengths in a shared commitment to reach their clear vision.
Can be used for:
Team conference calls
Presentations and keynotes
World Cafe events
Curious to learn more?
Check out my ebook all about using visuals to support collaborative work.
Upcoming Speaking and Training Events